Tuesday, July 10, 2012

First Days of Photography Class

Yesterday was my first day of class.  I arrived promptly at 8 to prepare for my 8:30 class.  I printed everything, had the materials laid out and 8:30 came and went but no students.  By 9:00 I had 3 out of the 13 matriculated for the class.  I decided to get started.  By the time 9:30 rolled around I had a full house.  Not much difference from my class in the states!

My morning class is comprised of students from 12 to 16 years old.  They are able to grasp the curriculum easily and are a lively bunch.  My afternoon class ranges from students 7 to 10.  The material seems to be a bit more difficult for them.  I have to go slower and modify my activities, but they are really cute.  They all call me "profe," (short for professora) even though I continue to ask them to call me Sarah.

Yesterday we started with a lesson on self-reflection and comparisons.  The assignment was to write a poem describing what you look like using similes.  The older group in the morning really seemed to get it, but my kiddies in the afternoon had a bit more trouble.  It is also a bit more difficult for me to understand the younger ones.  They don't seem to get the fact that I am not fluent.  They often whisper softly and speak very fast.  Its very endearing, but hard to understand.


Today we worked on symbolism and afterwards the students did an activity where they got to practice taking photos.  In pairs, they were given 4 emotions to represent in photographs.  They had a great time!  They could take the cameras anywhere they wanted and take as many photos as possible.  The next class they will get to see each others photos and guess what emotions are represented.









Abandonado

Enamorado

 La Esperanza

Orgullo

La Soledad

No comments:

Post a Comment